Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<r3vmui$ke$1@dont-email.me>>

From: Jeff Layman <jmlayman@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: SOT - Old Rediffusion cable converter box
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2020 08:45:05 +0000

Whilst clearing out some electronic junk, I came across a Rediffusion
converter box used at Thamesmead in SE London in the early 80s (the
system had been in use since 1970). According to
<http://www.rediffusion.info/London/>:
"Rediffusion London had a Community Service contract to provide an h.f.
system to the first 9,000 dwellings. Incorporated in the Thamesmead
project was to be all the latest developments of Rediffusion
engineering. With 12-pair cable being used throughout, there was no
anticipated problem with channel capacity. Two 405 and three 625 line
television programmes and Radios 1, 2, 3 and 4 were being relayed at
that time."

My parents were there in 1972. TV aerials were not allowed (maybe they
were thought to soften the "brutalist" architecture too much!), and TV
was available only through the Rediffusion cable service. There was a
box on the lounge wall with a circular multiway switch that was used to
select the TV (or radio) programme you wanted (photo at post#12 and more
info at <https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63338>). A
cable went from the selector switch to the box, which was mains-powered,
and the output from the box fed through a coax cable to the aerial input
of a normal UHF TV.  At
<http://offog.org/articles/rediffusion/switch.html> there is a picture
inside the selector box and a comment that "The yellow cable with a knot
in it is the output from the switch; it contains just a single pair, and
would have run from here to the receiver". The cable on mine is grey,
about 7 mm in diameter, and has a twisted pair inside. The twisted pair
wires have quite thick insulation on them, and are somewhat inflexible.

There are some photos here:
<https://ibb.co/hY8HsWS>
This shows the box itself - about 15x10x3cm. Top left is the twisted
pair input, top right mains input, and bottom right coax output.

<https://ibb.co/CwznSH7>
This is the device with the box top removed (I've also removed the top
of the screened RF converter section at middle bottom). This uses a
BF480 transistor, which appears to be the only active device in the
whole circuit. The power supply is just a capacitor dropper feeding a
full-wave rectifier, and maybe 12v zener (It has PH 79C 12 on it -
Philips BZX79 series?). The two capacitors at top left in series with
the input are marked "1500 2% 8KV"!

<https://ibb.co/F7SWpZm>
This is the underside of the PCB. I suppose one thing of interest is the
printed inductors towards the top right next to the RF converter. The
other thing of note is the wording near the bottom left which has 1983
as the date. My guess is that in the early 80s, when Channel 4 started
broadcasting, the original converter had to be replaced as it was
limited to three 625-line channels.

Anyone here remember the Rediffusion system and perhaps work on it?
Could this system be described as a sort of early broadband, using low
MHz frequencies on twisted pairs?

There don't seem to be any pictures of this box on the internet, so
would the box be of interest to any tv museum? I'd be happy to post it
to them (FoC of course) before it goes for recycling.

--

Jeff